Popular for its intensely fragrant white flowers set among glossy foliage, this evergreen shrub also works well as a container plant. Best in shade to partial sun, it prefers fast draining soil amended with organic material, and regular to moderate watering once established.
- Gardenias prefer to be planted high in the ground. Plant in a hole only as deep as the root ball.
- Protect from cold winter temperatures
- Water at least an inch of water a week
- Mulch around the plant to control weeds
- We recommend Dr. Earth 4 pound Organic Fertilizer #1944305
March: Chinese Fringe Flower
Evergreen to semi-evergreen shrub has a neat compact shape that can be pruned into a small tree over time. Known for softly textured leaves in light green or purple, it blooms heavily during spring months in shades of bright pink or white.
- Does well in partial to full sun
- Blooms from March to April
- Prune in early spring and apply fertilizer
- We recommend Jobe's Organics All Purpose 4 pound Fertilizer #2993624
February: Carolina Jessamine
This twining vine produces bright yellow, trumpet-shaped flowers set among shiny, light green leaves.
- Can grow well in either full sun or partial shade
- Best flowering occurs in full sun
- Fertilize 2 to 3 times during the growing season. We recommend Jobe's Organics All Purpose 4 pound Fertilizer #2993624
- Prune in early spring
- Keep soil moist
Blooms in January and early spring. Best in an area protected from strong sun and drying winds. An oustanding container plant.
- Camellias prefer shade. Plant in a shady area protected from strong, hot sun and drying winds
- Fertilize with fertilizer formulated for acid loving plants. We recommend Jobe's Organics Azalea, Camelllia and Rhododendrin 4 Pound #2993632
- Plant in well-drained soil rich in organic material
- Can be grown in the ground or in containers
- Prune after flowering